The following instructions are designed to assist you in migrating mail from Google Vault.
- The email address of a super admin account for your source and destination domain.
- Set up a service account and enabled the correct Google APIs for both the source and destination domains.
- You will need at least 30GB free disk space on each migration server.
- Billing must be enabled for the Google project being used for the migration. This is necessary to avoid very low Google Vault export quota limits.
- Additional Google APIs must be enabled using API Manager and Scopes added using the Google Workspace Admin Console
- Google Vault API, Scopes (https://www.googleapis.com/auth/ediscovery,https://www.googleapis.com/auth/ediscovery.readonly)
- Google Storage API, Scope (https://www.googleapis.com/auth/devstorage.read_write)
Source Platform Prerequisites
Setting up a service account and Google APIs
Please refer to the Setting up the Service Account and enable the APIs article.
Source Platform - Google Vault
Choose Google Vault as the migration source and enter your Google Vault settings into Cloud M Migrate and then click next.
- Domain Name - The domain name you will be migrating from. This should be the Internet domain name, not the local domain name.
- Admin Email - The email address of a super admin account for the primary Google Workspace domain. If migrating using multiple workstations, use one super admin user per workstation.
- Service Account Email Address - Before attempting to configure Cloud M Migrate, you should have created a google cloud platform project and created a service account for it. Input the service account's email address in this field.
- Private Key Path - The file path to the P12 key that was generated and downloaded when creating the service account.
If you cannot find the private key, go back to Google Cloud Platform service accounts, select your project (if not already selected), use the option button on the right of the service account and click "Create Key". Select P12 and download the key file.
Cloud M Migrate will now perform a small connection test to verify that the details you have entered are correct. If this fails you may have entered something incorrectly. If you are failing to resolve the issue please contact CloudM Support.
Destination Platform - Google Workspace
Select Google Workspace as your destination platform.
Select where you would like your data to be migrated. If you have purchased Google Workspace for Business or Google Vault you may want to migrate data directly into Google Vault.
To enable Google Vault for your domain, please see the following article: http://support.google.com/vault/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2584132
Enter information for your Google Workspace admin account.
Cloud M Migrate will perform a connection test against your Google Workspace domain to verify that everything has been entered correctly.
If your Google Workspace system is brand new or for any reason the users being migrated have not been created in Google Workspace, Cloud M Migrate can create your users for you. Simply go to advanced settings, to the user settings section and enable Create Users.
It's now time to add which users you'd like to migrate.
When migrating from Google Vault you may be able to Get Users from the actions menu. If this option is unavailable, you can manually import users via a CSV file or simply add them individually via the plus icon.
Selecting a star next to any specific user or users will prioritize their migration. When a migration starts, threads will be assigned to any starred user so that their migration can start immediately.
At this point you can choose what to migrate for each user, when migrating from Google Vault you can migrate mail
Enter your user's full email address within the Export Name field. If you have already created your Google Workspace users then you will just need to enter their username.
Select how much mail to migrate
Cloud M Migrate lets you decide how much mail you'd like to migrate to your shiny new system.
If you are changing your email address as part of the migration you can verify that the domain names are correct here. You can also specify specific address replacements in the respective section of the advanced settings.
For more information on domain and address replacements, see this page.
Start your migration
We know that you may want to start your migration in the middle of the night, or over the weekend, but we don't expect you to stay up in order to do so. With Cloud M Migrate, you can decide to schedule exactly when you'd like the migration to occur.
Start the migration.
Review your migration results
During the migration process, Cloud M Migrate will report back in real time exactly who is being migrated and the items being processed. All you now need to do is sit back, relax and wait for your migration to complete.
Check the progress of your migration.
Once complete you can download a full report for your migration.
For more information about this page, please visit the summary page.
Conversion table - Google documents
Documents that are created in Google Workspace applications will be converted to the following Microsoft Office formats when migrated:
|Drive File Type||Exported Format|
|Google Forms||.zip (.html and .csv)|
|Non-Google Files||No Format Change|