The following instructions are designed to assist you in migrating mail from IMAP.
- The credentials (username and password) of an administrator account within your IMAP environment.
- If migrating from Gmail via IMAP then turn on access for less secure apps in order to gain access.
Source Platform Prerequisites
Migrating from Gmail via IMAP
In order to migrate from Gmail, you must first turn on access for less secure apps. To do this, navigate to the less secure apps section of your Gmail settings which can be found here select 'Turn on'.
If the tool still fails to connect to Gmail, allow access to your google account from new deviced by going to this page whilst logged into your gmail account and clicking continue.
Destination Platform Prerequisites - Office 365
Setting up Application Impersonation
Alternative Application Impersonation Setup
First login to the Office 365 Exchange Admin Portal. Go to 'permissions' on the left hand side bar and click the + symbol in order to add a new role group. Enter 'CloudMigratorImpersonation' in both the Name and Description fields.
Next, click the + symbol under 'Roles', select ApplicationImpersonation, click 'add' and the click 'OK'.
Next, click the + symbol under 'Members', select your administrator user, click 'add' and then click 'OK'.
Click 'Save' and you will see the impersonation role listen in admin roles. Application impersonation is now set up.
Setting up Delegated Access
Delegated access gives a user account permission to access another. Delegated access must be set up if you are not using an Enterprise plan of Office 365
First login to the Office 365 Exchange Admin Portal. Go to 'recipients' then under 'mailboxes', double-click the user you wish to delegate access to then go to 'Mailbox Delegation' and click the '+' symbol under 'Full Access'
Next, select your administrator user, click 'add' and then click 'OK'
Click 'Save' and your administrator user now has the required access for the migration to occur, repeat this process for all users you wish to migrate.
Office 365 Groups Azure App Registration
The following steps are required to migrate from/to Office 365 Groups.
- Login to the Microsoft Azure portal for your chosen domain.
- Click 'Azure Active Directory'and then'App registrations'
- Click 'New registration'
- Enter a name for your application (This can be changed at any time).
- Supported Account Types should be left as the default 'Accounts in this organizational directory only (NAME OF COMPANY)'
- Redirect URI is not required.
- Click 'Register'
- On successfully registering your application you will be redirected to the below screen.
- NOTE : Open Notepad and Copy 'Application (client) ID'. This is the 'Client Id' required in the CloudM Migrate configuration.
- Click 'Certificates & secrets'
- 'New client secret'
- Select 'Never'
- Click 'Add'
- Client Secret will be generated and the client secrets table populated like below.
- NOTE : Copy the value generated and paste the value into notepad. This is the 'Client Secret' required in the CloudM Migrate configuration.
- Click 'API Permissions'
- Remove the default 'User.Read' by selecting the row and clicking 'Remove permission'
- Click 'Add a permission', under 'Microsoft APIs' select 'Microsoft Graph'
- Click 'Application Permission'
- Under 'Select Permissions' type the name of the permission you would like to add. Once all added, click 'Grant admin consent for '(Name of company)'
Office 365 Groups as a Source
Office 365 Groups as a Destination
Destination Platform Prerequisites - G Suite
CloudM Migrate Hosted makes migration as simple as possible. The only prerequisite is the installation of the CloudM Migrate Hosted application. When accessing CloudM Migrate Hosted for the first time you will be prompted to install the app, simply authorize and you're all set.
Select your configuration
Select the IMAP configuration item.
Source Platform - IMAP
Choose IMAP as the migration source and enter your IMAP settings into CloudM Migrate and then click next.
- Server address - The IP address or hostname of the IMAP server.
- Admin Username - The username of an administrator account on your IMAP server.
- Admin Password - The password to the administrator account.
CloudM Migrate will now perform a small connection test to verify that the details you have entered are correct. If this fails you may have entered something incorrectly. If you are failing to resolve the issue please contact CloudM Support via the chat icon.
Destination Platform - G-Suite
Select G Suite as your destination platform.
Select where you would like your data to be migrated. If you have purchased Office 365 for Business or Google Vault you may want to migrate data directly into Google Vault.
To enable Google Vault for your domain, please see the following article: http://support.google.com/vault/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2584132
Enter information for your G Suite admin account.
CloudM Migrate will perform a connection test against your Office 365 domain to verify that everything has been entered correctly.
If your Office 365 system is brand new or for any reason the users being migrated have not been created in Office 365, CloudM Migrate can create your users for you. Simply go to advanced settings, to the user settings section and enable Create Users.
Destination Platform - Office 365
Select Office 365 as your destination platform.
Enter information for your O365 admin account.
- Admin Username - The email address of an administrator within your Office 365 environment.
- Admin Password - The password for the administrator account specified earlier.
- Domain Name - The domain name of your Office 365 environment, this might be the part after the @ in your administrator email address. If migrating from several different domains, several migrations will be needed.
- Test Username - A non-admin user who is already present in the system.
CloudM Migrate will perform a connection test against your O365 domain to verify that everything has been entered correctly.
If you are on a Small Business or Kiosk plan and need to use delegated access to migrate from Office 365 then you need to make an advanced settings change. Click Advanced Settings and under the Account Details section select Credential Method and change it to Delegated Access.
CloudM Migrate includes a number of platform configuration and provisioning options for Office 365 migration that enable advanced automation scenarios. These options can be executed during the migration process and will run as part of the migration of users' data. See here for detailed information.
There are special considerations when you need to preserve the user's domain in the target tenancy. This is because you cannot have the same domain in two Office 365 tenancies at the same time. The recommended approach to achieve this is detailed below:
- All users to be migrated in the source tenancy will have a primary SMTP email address ending in their current domain e.g. 'email@example.com'. Check that each of these also has at least one alias. This will be needed later to avoid having to delete users in order to stop mail going to their original mailboxes
- Provision users mailboxes in the target tenancy with their primary SMTP email addresses based on the '.onmicrosoft.com' domain.
- Configure CloudM Migrate with the target domain based on the new tenancy's '.onmicrosoft.com' domain. This will be used for both the bulk migration pass and the delta pass.
- On completion of the delta pass, all the users should have their current primary SMTP address switched to their alias. This will in-affect stop mail from being received and be the start of the mail 'down-time'.
- Remove the 'company.com' domain from all users in the source tenancy. It is essential that no objects remain assigned to this domain otherwise you will not be able to remove the domain from the tenancy.
- Remove the 'company.com' domain from the source tenancy.
- Add the 'company.com' domain to the target tenancy
- Assign the 'company.com' domain to all the users in the target tenancy and make this the primary SMTP email address
- This ends the 'mail down-time' as mail will now successfully flow to the users again in the new tenancy.
Select which users to migrate
It's now time to add which users you'd like to migrate.
Unfortunately when migrating mail from IMAP you will not be able to use the Get Users button from the actions menu. You can manually import users via a CSV file using the Import Users option or simply add them individually via the plus icon.
Selecting a star next to any specific user or users will prioritize their migration. When a migration starts, threads will be assigned to any starred user so that their migration can start immediately.
At this point you can choose what to migrate for each user, when migrating from IMAP you can migrate only mail .
Enter your user's full email address within the Export Name field. If you have already created your Office 365 users then you will just need to enter their username.
Select how much mail to migrate
CloudM Migrate lets you decide how much mail you'd like to migrate to your shiny new system.
If you are changing your email address as part of the migration you can verify that the domain names are correct here. You can also specify specific address replacements in the respective section of the advanced settings.
For more information on domain and address replacements, see this page.
Start your migration
We know that you may want to start your migration in the middle of the night, or over the weekend, but we don't expect you to stay up in order to do so. With CloudM Migrate you can decide to schedule exactly when you'd like the migration to occur.
Start the migration.
Review your migration results
During the migration process CloudM Migrate will report back in real time exactly who is being migrated and the items being processed. All you now need to do is sit back, relax and wait for your migration to complete.
Check the progress of your migration.
Once complete you can download a full report for your migration.
For more information about this page, please visit the summary page.