The following instructions are designed to assist you in migrating files from Microsoft SharePoint.
- The workstation running CloudM Migrate must have network access to SharePoint, it can be on the same network or on the server in which SharePoint installation is located.
- The My Sites and Team Site base URLs within SharePoint.
- In order to automatically get a list of Team Sites, the SharePoint Central Administration base URL is required.
- An active directory domain account configured to be either primary or secondary site collection administrator of any site collections being migrated.
- If migrating to SharePoint 2010, in order to retrieve a list of users the AD domain account must be a designated administrator for the User Profile Service Application.
- PowerShell, bundled Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 and higher. If Powershell is uninstalled on your workstation, you can download it from Microsoft.
Source Platform Prerequisites
Obtaining the Team Sites URL from SharePoint
When migrating collaborative Team Sites from SharePoint, you will need the base URL of the web application that contains the site collections.
Firstly, login to your SharePoint Central Administration and click on 'Application Management'.
Click on 'View all site collections' and select the web application that contains the sites you would like to migrate.
Make a note of the web application as this will be required for the 'Team Site URL' setting in CloudM Migrate.
Obtaining the My Sites URL from SharePoint
When migrating personal My Sites from SharePoint, you will need the base URL of the web application that contains the site collections.
Firstly, login to your SharePoint Central Administration and click on 'Application Management'.
Under 'Service Applications', click on 'Manage Service Applications'.
Click on 'User Profile Service Application'.
Under the 'My Site Settings' section, click 'Setup My Sites'.
Make a note of 'My Site Host location' displayed on the right hand side as this will be required for 'My Site URL' setting in CloudM Migrate.
Enabling Get Users for SharePoint 2010
To allow CloudM Migrate to get users with a My Site, the domain account used for the migration must be designated administrator for the User Profile Service Application.
Firstly, login to your SharePoint Central Administration and click on ‘Application Management’.
Click on 'Manage Service Applications'.
Select 'User Profile Service Application' but do not open it. Click 'Administrators' in the top bar of the page.
Add the active directory account that you are using to perform the migration and click OK.
Destination Platform Prerequisites - Office 365
Setting up Application Impersonation
Alternative Application Impersonation Setup
First login to the Office 365 Exchange Admin Portal. Go to 'permissions' on the left hand side bar and click the + symbol in order to add a new role group. Enter 'CloudMigratorImpersonation' in both the Name and Description fields.
Next, click the + symbol under 'Roles', select ApplicationImpersonation, click 'add' and the click 'OK'.
Next, click the + symbol under 'Members', select your administrator user, click 'add' and then click 'OK'.
Click 'Save' and you will see the impersonation role listen in admin roles. Application impersonation is now set up.
Setting up Delegated Access
Delegated access gives a user account permission to access another. Delegated access must be set up if you are not using an Enterprise plan of Office 365
First login to the Office 365 Exchange Admin Portal. Go to 'recipients' then under 'mailboxes', double-click the user you wish to delegate access to then go to 'Mailbox Delegation' and click the '+' symbol under 'Full Access'
Next, select your administrator user, click 'add' and then click 'OK'
Click 'Save' and your administrator user now has the required access for the migration to occur, repeat this process for all users you wish to migrate.
Office 365 Groups Azure App Registration
The following steps are required to migrate from/to Office 365 Groups.
- Login to the Microsoft Azure portal for your chosen domain.
- Click 'Azure Active Directory'and then'App registrations'
- Click 'New registration'
- Enter a name for your application (This can be changed at any time).
- Supported Account Types should be left as the default 'Accounts in this organizational directory only (NAME OF COMPANY)'
- Redirect URI is not required.
- Click 'Register'
- On successfully registering your application you will be redirected to the below screen.
- NOTE : Open Notepad and Copy 'Application (client) ID'. This is the 'Client Id' required in the CloudM Migrate configuration.
- Click 'Certificates & secrets'
- 'New client secret'
- Select 'Never'
- Click 'Add'
- Client Secret will be generated and the client secrets table populated like below.
- NOTE : Copy the value generated and paste the value into notepad. This is the 'Client Secret' required in the CloudM Migrate configuration.
- Click 'API Permissions'
- Remove the default 'User.Read' by selecting the row and clicking 'Remove permission'
- Click 'Add a permission', under 'Microsoft APIs' select 'Microsoft Graph'
- Click 'Application Permission'
- Under 'Select Permissions' type the name of the permission you would like to add. Once all added, click 'Grant admin consent for '(Name of company)'
Destination Platform Prerequisites - G Suite
CloudM Migrate Hosted makes migration as simple as possible. The only prerequisite is the installation of the CM Go application. When accessing CloudM Migrate Hosted for the first time you will be prompted to install the app, simply authorise and you're all set.
Source Platform - Microsoft SharePoint
Choose Microsoft SharePoint as the migration source and enter your Microsoft SharePoint settings into CloudM Migrate and then click next.
- Version - The version of the target SharePoint server.
- Admin Username - The username of a site collection administrator.
- Admin Password - The password for the specified administrator.
- Domain Name - The domain name for the SharePoint server.
- Team Sites URL - The URL for the Team Sites web application.
- Test Team Site and Library Title - A team site within SharePoint to test connection, must have the administrator account added as a site collection administrator.
- My Sites URL - The URL for the My Sites collection. (This is the base site URL where your My Sites/OneDrive resides.)
- Test Username - A username within SharePoint to test connection, this account must have been provisioned with a My Site and OneDrive, the administrator account specified must also be added as this user's site collection administrator.
- Central Administration URL - The URL for the SharePoint Central Administration web application.
- Retry Count - The number of times to attempt an operation before failing.
- Timeout - The amount of time in milliseconds to wait for communications with SharePoint before failing.
CloudM Migrate will now perform a small connection test to verify that the details you have entered are correct. If this fails you may have entered something incorrectly. If you are failing to resolve the issue please contact CloudM Support.
Destination Platform - G-Suite
Select G Suite as your destination platform.
Select where you would like your data to be migrated. If you have purchased G Suite for Business or Google Vault you may want to migrate data directly into Google Vault.
To enable Google Vault for your domain, please see the following article: http://support.google.com/vault/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2584132
Enter information for your G Suite admin account.
CloudM Migrate will perform a connection test against your G Suite domain to verify that everything has been entered correctly.
If your G Suite system is brand new or for any reason the users being migrated have not been created in G Suite, CloudM Migrate can create your users for you. Simply go to advanced settings, to the user settings section and enable Create Users.
Destination Platform - Office 365
Select Office 365 as your destination platform.
Enter information for your O365 admin account.
- Admin Username - The email address of an administrator within your Office 365 environment.
- Admin Password - The password for the administrator account specified earlier.
- Domain Name - The domain name of your Office 365 environment, this might be the part after the @ in your administrator email address. If migrating from several different domains, several migrations will be needed.
- Test Username - A non-admin user who is already present in the system.
CloudM Migrate will perform a connection test against your O365 domain to verify that everything has been entered correctly.
If you are on a Small Business or Kiosk plan and need to use delegated access to migrate from Office 365 then you need to make an advanced settings change. Click Advanced Settings and under the Account Details section select Credential Method and change it to Delegated Access.
CloudM Migrate includes a number of platform configuration and provisioning options for Office 365 migration that enable advanced automation scenarios. These options can be executed during the migration process and will run as part of the migration of users' data. See here for detailed information.
There are special considerations when you need to preserve the user's domain in the target tenancy. This is because you cannot have the same domain in two Office 365 tenancies at the same time. The recommended approach to achieve this is detailed below:
- All users to be migrated in the source tenancy will have a primary SMTP email address ending in their current domain e.g. 'email@example.com'. Check that each of these also has at least one alias. This will be needed later to avoid having to delete users in order to stop mail going to their original mailboxes
- Provision users mailboxes in the target tenancy with their primary SMTP email addresses based on the '.onmicrosoft.com' domain.
- Configure CloudM Migrate with the target domain based on the new tenancy's '.onmicrosoft.com' domain. This will be used for both the bulk migration pass and the delta pass.
- On completion of the delta pass, all the users should have their current primary SMTP address switched to their alias. This will in-effect stop mail from being received and be the start of the mail 'down-time'.
- Remove the 'company.com' domain from all users in the source tenancy. It is essential that no objects remain assigned to this domain otherwise you will not be able to remove the domain from the tenancy.
- Remove the 'company.com' domain from the source tenancy.
- Add the 'company.com' domain to the target tenancy
- Assign the 'company.com' domain to all the users in the target tenancy and make this the primary SMTP email address
- This ends the 'mail down-time' as mail will now successfully flow to the users again in the new tenancy.
Select which users to migrate
It's now time to add which users you'd like to migrate.
When migrating from Microsoft SharePoint you may be able to Get Users from the actions menu. If this option is unavailable, you can manually import users via a CSV file or simply add them individually via the plus icon.
Selecting a star next to any specific user or users will prioritize their migration. When a migration starts, threads will be assigned to any starred user so that their migration can start immediately.
At this point you can choose what to migrate for each user, when migrating from Microsoft SharePoint you can migrate
Enter your user's full email address within the Export Name field. If you have already created your G Suite users then you will just need to enter their username.
When migrating from Microsoft SharePoint, CloudM Migrate gives you the ability to selectively migrate document libraries from the specified site. To migrate all libraries, leave "Documents Path" blank. Otherwise, input the name of the libraries delimited by semi-colons. For example "Shared Documents; Personal Documents;".
To migrate files to a G Suite Team Drive, either select the item you wish to migrate and select 'Migrate as Team Drive' from the actions menu or specify the import type as 'TeamDrive' when adding an item. You can then specify the name or ID of the Team Drive in the 'Given Name' field. If the Team Drive specified doesn't exist then it will be created. You can use a unique ID in the 'Import Name' field to identify the Team Drive across multiple migrations. You can specify a specific folder to migrate from in the 'Documents Path' field, this will migrate only the specified folder and all subfolders. Finally, you must make sure your migrating account has organizer permissions for any Team Drives that are being migrated.
Select how many files to migrate
CloudM Migrate lets you decide how many files you'd like to migrate to your shiny new system.
If you are changing your email address as part of the migration you can verify that the domain names are correct here. You can also specify specific address replacements in the respective section of the advanced settings.
For more information on domain and address replacements, see this page.
Run an environment scan
Environment Scan allows you to plan and prepare your migration by performing analysis of your source file environment and reporting important information such as file and folder counts, data volume, permissions, and folder depth.
After entering your source and destination server settings, populating your userlist, and configuring your settings, upon proceeding you will be prompted to run an environment scan. It is optional but recommended for all file platforms.
Click 'Start' to begin the scan. CloudM Migrate will connect to your source environment and capture file information. This can take up to several hours depending on the amount of data present. Once the scan completes the data is reported on the Environment Scans page and can be exported to file.
For more information file environment scan, see this page.
We know that you may want to start your migration in the middle of the night, or over the weekend, but we don't expect you to stay up in order to do so. With CloudM Migrate, you can decide to schedule exactly when you would like the migration to occur.
Start the migration.
Review your migration results
During the migration process, CloudM Migrate will report back in real time exactly who is being migrated and the items being processed. All you now need to do is sit back, relax and wait for your migration to complete.
Check the progress of your migration.
Once complete, you can download a full report for your migration.