Before continuing, please make sure that you have read and followed the instructions in the HTTPS Setup for Web Installation article, if you are using CloudM Migrate Web. This will ensure that you have set up IIS and generated and assigned a Self Signed Certificate.
This quick start guide provides you with the basic information to configure CloudM Migrate for a migration from Box. It is highly recommended that you read the application documentation in full for your platforms in order to understand all of the options available to you during a migration.
It is required to perform the below using a Box ADMIN (co-admin won't work).
In order to access all data within Box, data is retrieved using the Box Content API.
Please ensure that the file content you are migrating from Box is owned by the users you wish to migrate.
Creating a Box application
- Navigate to the Developers Console and login with a Box administration account.
- If this is the first Box application to be created under the administration account, click ‘Get Started’. If you have any existing applications click Create New App.
- On the following page, select Custom App, then Standard OAuth 2.0 (User Authentication).
Enter a unique name for your application and select Create Box. You should see a prompt "Woot! Your app has been created."If an application already exists within Box with the same name you will be presented with the following message ‘Application with this name already exists’. Adjust the name accordingly to make the name unique e.g. append with a random number.
- On the successful creation of the application, you will be brought to your Box Application Configuration. If not, you can easily go to My Apps/[Select your App]/Configuration from the right-hand menu.
- Scroll down to the OAuth2 parameters, depending on the application enter the following:
CloudM Migrate Web :
- Redirect URI: https://<domain_you're_using>/api/boxexport/callback.<domain_you're_using> will be the domain you are accessing CloudM Migrate Web. If you login to CloudM Migrate Web using the redirect URI would be
Enabling Enterprise Features
After creating a Box application you will be required to email Box support to enable the following features:
- Box Notifications
- Go to the Box support area of the website and create a new ticket.
- You will be prompted to login if not already logged in. A dialog window may appear, click continue. In the support form that you now see, enter the following details:
- Subject - 'Box Notifications to be enabled'
- Description - 'Please enable the following “Box Notifications” for this application.'
- Severity - Normal
- API Key - In this field, enter the client_id you made a note of when creating a Box.com application.
Configure CloudM Migrate
- Select Box in the platform selector:
- Enter the settings into the Box server settings
- Enter your license key. Please click Help > Licence Key to apply the licence. Paste in licence key and click Apply.
- Setup your destination platform. Instructions are available for Google Workspace, Microsoft Exchange or Microsoft 365.
- Test the configuration using the configuration test tool, available at ‘Tools->Check Connections’. See this article for more information about the connection test tool. You will also need to complete the settings for the destination platform before running this test. If any problems are encountered with the connection test, please examine the error and make the adjustments to your configuration settings.
- Generate your user list and select the users and items you would like to migrate in the ‘Users/Resources’ tab.
- Start your migration
If you have any specialized needs, or would like to learn more about the migration options and how they can be used to make sure your migration is performed in an appropriate way for your organisation, please refer to the advanced options.
Box Collaborated (Shared) Folders
CloudM Migrate will migrate Box Collaborated Folders once the owner is migrated. There can only be one owner. Permissions will be migrated depending on users existing in the destination and your mappings / address replacements.